Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Talking Politics

 I am a conservative Christian white girl from the south, basically the epitome of all things corrupt in the eyes of some folks.  I guess in some ways, I fit the stereotype.  I wear cowboy boots.  I like country music, barbeque, and guys in plaid shirts.  I say, "Y'all" a lot.  I know hymns by heart.  I like being outside in the summer and I wear a jacket if the temperature slips below 75 degrees.

In other ways, however, I like to think I'm at least a little different.  For example, I favor marriage equality.  I have a lot of gay friends, both from school and at church, and I can not wait to see them all get married.  I will happily and proudly support them in their marriages and I fully believe they should be entitled to every right that comes with the institution of marriage.

In my mind, this really shouldn't be such a big issue.  Marriage equality is inevitable, whether the far right likes it or not, so why not just embrace it?  Create a new image for the Republican party.  Keep our basic principles of small government, but with a more open and accepting social stance?  It would do wonders for our reputation, as a good portion of the left wing think we're just evil incarnate.  More than often, I am hesitant to reveal I vote conservative for fear of being labeled a bigot, a racist, intolerant, or ignorant.  I even lost of one of my closest friends due to my conservative inclinations.

While we're on the topic of social issues, we should stop trying to make abortion illegal.  Although I do not necessarily think abortion is a good idea, I can not, as a woman, support any law that gives the government power over my body.  Besides, there are circumstances, such as if the pregnancy would endanger the life of a woman, where an abortion might be the only option.  Besides, if abortion were illegal, women who wanted one would still find a way to get one.  Those methods are guaranteed to be a lot more harmful than what doctors at clinics are doing now, so why risk it?  Why force those women to have to make that decision?

Now, as far as government mandated birth control goes, I'm with the conservatives.  The government should not force Catholic institutions to go against their religion.  That's why we have the separation of church and state.  I also wish that the left would stop professing that the right is declaring a war on women.  They're not.  This is not a women's issue.  It's a church and state issue.  However, I do wish conservatives would acknowledge that not all women use birth control for preventing pregnancy.  I myself have been on birth control for almost four years for medical purposes.  I've never used it for contraception.  Still, if you're employed by or attend some sort of Catholic institution, don't go in expecting free birth control.

Finally, before signing off, I just have to address this new "Life of Julia" comic.  To me, there is nothing cool or inspirational about it.  It is just flat-out creepy.  Every aspect of Julia's life is controlled or at least influenced by big government.  That is not what I want for my life.  I live in America because I want freedom.  I want to be able to make my own way and NOT have to be dependent on the government.  I do not want the government interfering in what I do, what I take part in, or how I spend my time.

I believe in freedom.  Those freedoms include marriage equality and a woman's right to choose.  But government programs for every stage of my life?  No thank you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment