Monday, July 9, 2012

My Subtle Tribute to the Best Team in Sports History



To say I love the Texas Rangers would be the understatement of the century.  To say I love this combination of players in particular would be even more so.  They are simply the best.  Not just because of the way they play, but because of the type of good, honest, fun-loving guys they seem to be on and off the field.  Now sadly, I've never met any of them personally, but like any true blue Rangers fan, I stalk follow all of them on Twitter.  From what I can tell, these guys are the real deal.  They love what they do, they're good at it, and best of all, they're down-to-Earth, great role models, and an all around great group of people.  Okay, I'm starting to fawn.  Sorry.






I was eleven years old the first time I went to a Rangers game.  That was in 1999, the year they won the West Division Championship.  I was actually there at that game when they won it.  Rafael Palmeiro hit a grand slam that night.  It was awesome.  My absolute favorite player at the time, however, was Rusty Greer.  I liked him first of all because I had a cat named Rusty (I was still very new to the world of baseball).  I really loved him, however, because at my very first Rangers game, he hit a grand slam against the New York Yankees and we won the game.
Ian!  Everyone loves Ian.
Elvis Andrus! Quite possibly the cutest guy ever.
My hero, Josh Hamilton.


Mike Napoli! He's a stud. 
I think this is Elvis but I'm not quite sure...









I have mixed emotions when they intentionally walk our best players.  Adrian Beltre seems to also.
Today, it would be impossible for me to pick an absolute favorite player.  I love all of the guys.  I feel like I can't write a proper tribute to my team without paying due respects to my hero, Josh Hamilton.  He is everything our society needs in a role model.  Everyone knows he's a sensational player (deemed more than once as the best hitter in baseball), but I respect him so much more for the way he's fought to overcome his demons, the way his team supports him wholeheartedly, and the way he devotes himself to his family and to his faith.  



Intentionally walking Josh.  This happens a lot.




   
Nothing would make me happier than to see this amazing group of guys to to the World Series again and come home with world champion rings.  I already know the Rangers are the best team in the world, but it would be nice to see a physical acknowledgement in the form of an enormous championship trophy.  






I can't decide whose face I like better. Elvis is adorable as always, but Adrian looks so... I don't even know.

SUCH a stud.




Congratulations on a fantastic season so far, boys! Good luck at the All Star Game!  Next stop: World Series!  

*All photographs © copyright by Jacqueline E. Smith.  

No comments:

Post a Comment